City Council Goals FY06-07
The Cambridge City Council has established its community goals for fiscal
years 2006 and 2007 (from July 2005 - June 2007). These goals are the product of
an in-depth biannual process that the Council has followed since 1996. Adopted
by a unanimous vote of the City Council on December 6, 2004, the City Council
goals provide guidance to the City Manager during the annual budget planning
High quality City services, maintaining the City’s diversity, affordable
housing and improving public education continue to be high priorities for the
City Council. Some goals have been added or changed to reflect emerging issues
and changing circumstances, including the impact that rising property valuations
are having on homeowners, in particular owners of two- and three-family homes. A
new council goal emphasizes the importance of examining tax implications when
evaluating the pros and cons of City programs. Another change can be seen in the
City Council’s decision to expand the council’s longstanding concerns
regarding air quality to include a broader environmental focus.
THE GOALS OF OUR CITY COUNCIL
- Evaluate City expenditures with a view of maintaining a strong fiscal
position and awareness of the impact on taxpayers.
- Value and support the racial, socioeconomic, cultural and religious
diversity of Cambridge. Cambridge will continue to be a city that welcomes,
values and respects people of all abilities.
- Provide high quality services, including excellent customer service,
effectively and efficiently and continually strive to update the public on
city issues and services.
- Provide high quality public safety services and maintain a high level of
public confidence in these services.
- Preserve and create affordable housing for low, moderate and middle-income
- Strengthen and support public education and other learning in Cambridge
for the benefit of residents of all ages.
- Foster community and support neighborhood vitality. Support opportunities
for citizens to know each other within their neighborhoods and across the
- Promote a healthy environment by adopting environmentally sound and energy
efficient practices throughout the community.
- Promote the advantage of “doing business in Cambridge” and work to
strengthen our mutually beneficial community partnerships with businesses
and universities. Highlight the unique benefits of Cambridge as a community
in which to live and work; focus on transmitting the values and identity of